Saturday, January 6, 2024

1 John 2:28-3:3, We Are Children of God!

Why would we not be confident before God?  Because we might be ashamed!  John says that (2:28.)  Why should we be ashamed?  The answer is simple: because we continue to sin and disappoint God.  But before we accept the simple answer let us meditate on “shame.”  Paul had an earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed (Phil. 1:20).  He said this as a Christian, while in prison in Rome, having walked with Christ for many years.  What was he “worried” about?  He goes on to say that Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.  Paul would be ashamed if he did not magnify Christ in his situation.  He could be fed to the lions.  Or he could gain freedom and continue his apostolic work.  He wanted to exalt his Savior, regardless of the path God had for him to take.

So it is with us.  We might think about that moment we appear before Christ after this life is over.  We might not want to face the One who died for us when we gift account for the things done in the body … whether good or bad (2 Cor. 5:10).  He loved us so much, and died for us that we might live for Him (2 Cor. 5:14-15).  We might think there will be some shame for time wasted on lesser or even evil things.  In our culture, where having shame is considered a “sin” (it’s all about loving yourself, no place for self-deprecation), we should understand that shame is a very real emotion for those who know all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account (Heb. 4:13).  Remember: He is righteous, and you know that everyone who practices righteousness if born of Him (1 Jn. 2:29).

So yes, there is a reason for shame.  What possible encouragement is there that I might have confidence when I stand before Christ?  The first thing John tells us is one of the most precious truths about being a believer in Christ: we are called CHILDREN OF GOD!  The world doesn’t call us that.  They don’t understand how sinners can be in that position.  Furthermore, God doesn’t just call us that.  He “bestowed” that on us.  It is His gift to us, so that we are not just called “children of God” (3:1) but we are children of God (3:2).  The effect of this is that, whatever disappointment we may experience in this life, in the one to come we will be like Christ.  That hope actually helps us become more and more pure in this life (3:3).

This means so much to me, partly because I had a very godly father.  I remember as a young man I did something very wrong.  I knew I had to tell my parents about it but I was so ashamed because I knew it would disappoint them as well.  I knocked on their door one evening, sat on their bed and tearfully told them what I had done.  My father, who got in my face on occasion because of my foolish life, did not berate me.  He forgave me and I knew it.  I know in the following days it was a painful time for him.  But at the same time, I rested in the confidence that he loved me.  He treated me as his son!  Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!

No comments: