Tuesday, August 15, 2023

2 Timothy 2:14-26, HUMILITY vs. pride (5)

First, let me say that in solving the issue of “self-esteem” cannot simply be done by never thinking of ourselves at all.  I have heard this, that the Christian has neither a high nor a low opinion of himself but only thinks of Christ.  One passage that mitigates that (and in the previous post we noted several) is Rom. 12:3 where we are required to have a “sober” (correct, proper) view of ourselves.  We need to have this in order to be God’s servant in the Body of Christ.

Then, let me make a couple of notes about Paul and the great men of the Bible.  Paul’s reluctant “boasting” of his ministry in 2 Cor. 11-12 ends with the great passage about his “thorn in the flesh” and his weaknesses.  Remember that he said this: when I am weak, then I am strong.  His weaknesses were a fact but they were not the end of the story.

Concerning the great men of the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, on many occasions these men exhibited what some might want to call “poor self-esteem.”  One great illustration is Moses in his conversation with God at the burning bush in Exodus 3-4.  When men that God chose told Him “I can’t” God did not disagree with them, saying, “Oh yes you can; if you put your mind to it, you can do anything!”  What God said was, I WILL BE WITH YOU! (Ex. 3:12)

But now I want to briefly share five statements to think about.  This was helpful to me when I heard Vernon Grounds of Denver Seminary share this many years ago.

·       We cannot deny SELF-DENIAL (Mk. 8:34-35).  Self-denial is not a masochistic (“I hate myself”) principle.  It is a recognition of what we are as sinners and who God is as our Creator and Savior.  He deserves our total submission.

·       Self-denial is the same as SELF-DISCIPLINE (1 Cor. 9:24-27).  In other words, self-denial is not the end of the road for us.  It seems that in much of the Eastern religions that is the goal of life.  But for Christians, self-denial is the essential first step in reaching our goal of Christ-likeness. 

·       Self-discipline is with a view to SELF-DEVELOPMENT (again, 1 Cor. 9:24-27).  Paul saw this discipline as essential for being a faithful servant of Christ.

·       Self-development is with a view to SELF-DONATION (Phil. 2:3-4).  Our growth in Christ and in faith in Christ fits us to be of greater use to the Master (2 Tim. 2:21).

·       SELF-FULFILLMENT is the inevitable but unintended outcome of self-donation (Mark 8:35).

I hope you find this helpful.

No comments: