Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Titus 3:8-11



When I was in Bible college the “Calvinism/Arminianism” debate ran an entire semester in the men’s dorm in which I lived.  It was an important time in that I learned a lot of Scripture.  I saw things in the Bible I had not seen previously; I staked out a few positions; and I give thanks to God because in the process I don’t think I lost any friends.  We disagreed often but enjoyed the debate.

But the debate was often based on “proof-texting.”  There were verses, and parts of verses, that I hurled at my foes, without benefit of good Bible study.  After years of studying, teaching and preaching the Bible verse-by-verse I saw that our seemingly lengthy debate had only scratched the surface of relevant Biblical information on the hot topics of free will, those for whom Christ died and man’s ability to come to Christ or to later turn from Christ.  I often came to passages that didn’t sit well with my previously staked-out position.  

Why am I telling you this?  Because our debate often jumped in and out of Romans 9-10.  As is often the case, the best Calvinist passages (as some might see in Rom. 9) sit right next to the best Arminian passages (as others might see in Rom. 10).  But the truth is: Romans 9-11 is NOT about this debate.  It concerns the present and future status of Paul’s kinsmen according to the flesh, the people of Israel (9:3-4).  It is both strange and sad that some come to these chapters to prove the sovereign choice of God at the same time concluding that God is not keeping His literal, gracious covenant with Abraham and his descendants.  That is the ultimate in proof-texting, snagging a verse or two to support one’s theology, while denying the point of the passage itself.

It is sad how frequently, in the typically small churches in the sparsely populated state of Montana where I live, that Pastors, Shepherds of God’s flock, allow (and even promote) this debate to the destroying of God’s temple (1 Cor. 3:17).  Within the fellowship I was part of for many years we had leaders and members that differed on this matter and yet who were “careful to maintain good works.”  They served together because they respected each other.  They didn’t just agree to disagree.  They understood that both sides were committed to a literal interpretation of the inerrant word of God (Sola Scriptura).  Both were able to do what the Apostles could do: preach the gospel of God’s grace (Sola gratia) and call men to faith in Christ (Sola fide).   We loved one another (John 13:34-35).  We strove for edification” (1 Cor. 14:26).  We preached the whole counsel of God (Acts 20:27).

All of this is stressed in the hope that it will help keep us on track in the potent passage before us for the next several days.  I know some will either disagree with some of my thoughts or will wish I had commented more in the way that fits their views.  But my hope is that we can stay in the context and joyfully sing together the concluding hymn of praise to our all-wise God (Rom. 11:33-36).

No comments: