Thursday, August 5, 2021

Exodus 5:1-9, Thoughts from Exodus (4)

0502   Here is Pharaoh’s fundamental issue. I do not know the LORD.  YAHWEH was not an Egyptian god!

0522   5:22-23: Moses and Aaron were the first who had to get used to disappointment. 😊

0601   6:1-8: This is one of the most amazing passages in Scripture.  God’s word, spoken directly by God to His prophet (not in a dream or vision).

0602   The revealing of God’s plan must begin with “I am the LORD.”  Even in my life, God’s plan for me must begin with God revealing Himself in Christ.

0606 6:6-8: Here are some great thoughts, and some great material for meditation as we think, not only of the Exodus but of our own deliverance from sin through the blood of Christ. 

·       I will bring you out.

·       I will rescue you.

·       I will redeem you.

·       I will take you as my people.

·       I will be your God.

·       I will bring you into.

·       I will give.

0701   Again, Moses made “as God to Pharaoh,” who considered himself a god.

0721   Note the stench of the plagues (7:21; 8:14).

0808   Ah! The LORD has Pharaoh.  Now Pharaoh has heard of the LORD.  But, 8:9f, Moses doesn’t know Pharoah.

0822   “I am the LORD in the midst of the land.”  In other words this really is the LORD versus the “gods of Egypt-land.” 

0822   In the “midst of the land.”  The middle, inner part.  Goshen was in an “outer” section, a border area. 

0823   My people and your people.  Again, it is the LORD versus Pharaoh, god of Egypt.  Each is responsible for His/his people.

0826   “the abomination of the Egyptians.”  Is he talking about sheep? (Gen. 46:34)  If so that’s interesting that lambs are central to Israelite worship and a Lamb is central to our salvation.  But it’s an abomination to the Egyptians.  Does not the Apostle Paul tell us that the gospel is foolishness to the wise people of this world? (1 Cor. 1:18ff)

0901   Now we are moving from major nuisances to major problems: there will be significant economic woes and physical pain.

0916   9:16-17: Here is the heart of the “who hardened Pharaoh’s heart” issue.  It is not “who was first.”  It is 1) that God raised up Pharaoh to display His name; and 2) that Pharaoh exalted himself against Israel.

0927   Pharaoh knows the issue and just what to say.


1 comment:

Miss Doris said...

The different format leaves words chopped off from the right side on my screen. Maybe it's my display settings? But I'm having to guess at some of it.