Thursday, June 20, 2024

Ep. 3:14-21 God’s Communicable Attributes (17, Application)

What do the following passages indicate as to the only proper response as we grow in the knowledge of God?

Psalm 16:2 O my soul, you have said to the LORD, “You are my Lord, My goodness is nothing apart from You.”  “Goodness” is tob, the good things I have or experience.  They are nothing if I don’t have the LORD!

Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.  It’s not that the LORD is hesitant to bless those who seek Him.  As we walk in His presence we will be going where He leads, we will experience His joy (even in sorrow), and there will an abundance of pleasures.

Psalm 17:15 As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.  As we increasingly see His face we are transformed into His likeness, which satisfies because that is what we were created for.

Psalm 27:4 One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple.  The longing of our hearts is not for the blessings but for a life in His presence.  When we are there, we are satisfied.

Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  These are the words of Asaph in the Psalm where he envied the wicked.  But after he met the LORD in the temple, the place of divine fellowship, he realized that to have the LORD is to have everything!

If you have not yet read today’s passage, please do so now.  It is one of Paul’s prayers.  The one request Paul made was that the Spirit of God would strengthen the believers of Ephesus.  The end result would be that Christ would dwell in their hearts.  In the Psalms this means they would experience the presence or face of the LORD.  The result of this would be that they would daily learn the love of God.  This is not just “one” of God’s attributes.  It is the one that gathers together all of God’s desires for His people.  This love surpasses all knowledge.  And yet, by the Spirit, we are able to comprehend His love, and in so doing we are filled with all the fullness of God. 

The bottom line application of God’s “communicable” attributes is that we be filled with His fullness.  May it be so for me!  (We, my wife and I, have lost another precious loved one, a grand-son.  My greatest struggle is that I can think of so many ways that I do not believe that I loved him in the best possible way.  I long to love as God loves.  Please pray for us in this time.  The next several posts will be repeats from 2 Corinthians.)

No comments: