Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Eph. 5:25-33, Husbands, Love Your Wives

 Years ago I was edified by the writings of a Mennonite brother named David Augsburger.  I saw that he passed away towards the end of last year.  I never met him, didn’t keep track of him.  I do know some of his books were helpful to me, including Caring Enough to Confront and The Freedom of Forgiveness: Seventy Times Seven.  What I want to post today is from his pen.  My notes say it was from something called “Man, the Leader.”  I can’t find it in his list of books, although he wrote on marriage.  It may have been an article.  That’s all I can say in hopes of avoiding charges of plagiarism.  I hope you find this edifying as I did.

The autocratic personality

The Christ-ocratic personality

Gives orders without asking questions, without permitting questions; makes demands, dishes out directives, lays down the law, is defensive if challenged; requires compliance regardless of consent or agreement; pushes and manipulates one-man rule in over-under position; says “You do, you must do, you ought to have done, you’d better do”; depends on his own external authority to muricate others; generates friction, resistance, resentment; separates and isolates people.

Asks questions, seeks to truly hear, suggests alternatives; respects freedom and dignity of others, can affirm the truth clearly and concretely but nondefensively; values willing cooperation, works for open agreement and understanding; leads, attracts, persuades personal relationships in side-by-side identification; says, “Come, let’s do, we might have done, can we try?”  depends on their internal integrity to motivate them; generates acceptance, cooperation, and reconciliation; unites and helps persons relate to each other.

 

To be a man

Is to possess the strength to love another,

Not the need to dominate over others.

To be a man

Is to experience the courage to accept another,

Not the compulsion to be an aggressor.

To be a man

Is to keep faith with human values in relationships,

Not to value oneself by position and possessions.

To be a man

Is to be free to give love

And to be free to accept love in return.

No comments: