Saturday, July 1, 2023

Psalm 25, Addendum as Applied to Youthful Lusts (2)

Continuing with some thoughts on Psalm 25.

·       v12-15: I cannot tell you how important these verses are for me.  The one who can be “taught by God” is the one who fears the LORD.  I must be sure that, in this day when the Church seems more interested in how good God is than how holy He is, and how forgiven I am by Him than that I am accountable to Him, I must be sure that I have a basic mentality to fear the LORD.  I wat supposed to learn that in my youth (Ecc. 12:1), that I have a Creator and that I belong to Him and owe Him respect and thanksgiving. 

o   And to know that He has built into this life “harvest” rules: what you sow, you reap!  That is part of my disappointment when I follow the lure of Satan.  Not only are the pleasures short-lived; they are followed by other set-backs.  It is always true: the way of the ungodly shall perish (Ps. 1:6a). 

o   On the other hand: The secret of the LORD is with those who fear Him (25:14).  What secret are we talking about?  The previous verses (v12-13) indicate it is God’s secret to a blessed life.  But what about the rest of v14?  And He will show them His covenant.  In some way those whose eyes are ever toward the LORD have unique blessing from Him.  I realize that my eyes need to always be on Him, I need to fear Him, because the LORD knows the way of the righteous (Ps. 1:6a).

o   You will be disappointed I am sure if I don’t tell you my thoughts on the “secret of the LORD.”  I am reminded that in the NT there are several references to the “mystery” referring to various aspects of God’s covenant with His Son to exalt Him above all.  That “mystery” is rooted in Ps. 2.  That’s where we first hear about this.  It makes sense to me.  Those who fear the LORD will be blessed to know the LORD through His Son.  In that way they will know the LORD as “the God of my salvation” on Whom they “wait all the day” (25:5).

·       25:16-22: I can hear David saying this as he crosses the Kidron Valley, fleeing Jerusalem in the days of Absalom’s rebellion.  “I am desolate and afflicted. The troubles of my heart have enlarged.”  My distresses, my affliction, my pain, my sins!  The load is heavy that we bring on ourselves when we have followed after the lure of Satan.  That’s why David not only prays for pardon (cancel the debt) but for “forgiveness.”  This word means to carry something.  It was first used by Cain in Gen. 4:13: My punishment/iniquity is greater than I can bear!  Cain was unwilling to turn to the LORD.  David was very willing!  Our enemy hates us (v19).  His “lure” is a trap.   is a trap.  Keep my soul and deliver me; let e not be ashamed, for I put my trust in You.  Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for You! (25:20-21).

No comments: