Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Rom. 8:28-39, WDY’K: God Keeps His Children Forever (2)

2)    What does the Bible say about being eternally secure?  It might seem strange that we even ask this question.  If I have been “born again” does it make sense that I could return to my “unregenerate” state?  I was born a human.  Can I ever cease to be a human?  Can I take a step back in the evolutionary calendar and be an ape after I was born of a human mother and father?  (No, I don’t believe evolution.  It is foolish.  It’s impossible.  The complexities of the human body could never evolve, not in a hundred million gazillion goofytillion eternities.)  Nevertheless, we ask the question because it seems that some passages in the Bible could be understood as possibly “yes” and possibly “no.”

a)    Every true believer will not fall from salvation but will persevere in His relationship with God.  I already know some of my friends will not like the word “persevere.”  I take it from several places in the NT that are translated “continue.”  Some of these will be pointed out as we work through this.

i)      John 17 (v11,15,21,23): Jesus prayed for this, that God would “keep” those He gave to Christ.  He prayed according to God’s will so His prayer will be answered by the Father.  In 17:23 the word “perfect” implies a journey.  That they may “come to maturity” or come to be what God intended for us to be (conformed to the image of Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God).

ii)   John 10:27-29: If I receive eternal life when I become one of Jesus’ sheep, then by definition I cannot lose it.  It I lost it, then it was only temporal life and not eternal life.

iii)            Eph. 1:4 (John 15:16; Gal. 4:9; Ac. 13:48; Rom. 9:6-29): If God is all-knowing (and He is or He is not God), and God chose me, then there can be no “losing” what He has chosen me to be and have.  I know this is the area of huge argument.  But it seems to me, however you believe in the election issue, you must say that God is involved in being born again.  And He’s all-knowing.  So He won’t make a mistake that has to be undone later.

iv) Rom. 8:28-39: The point here, of course, is that there is nothing in all the universe that can separate me from God’s love in Christ.  And remember: the cross is God’s love to us in Christ (Rom. 5:8).

v)    Rom. 8:16; 1 John 5:9-13; John 3:36: These passages talk about the “assurance of salvation.”  I can know that I am the son of God.  I do not know tomorrow or the next day or year.  How can I have any assurance today about future days?  It can only be true if there is an eternal security in my relationship with God.

vi) Rom. 8:33: It is God who justifies me.  Only He can undo it, not me.  Are there illustrations in Scripture of God making a mistake?  Has he ever justified the wrong person so He had to “unjustify” or “re-condemn” them?

No comments: