Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Col. 3:22-4:1, Exalting Christ in the Workplace (1)

In our church fellowship we recently taught from Col. 3:18-41.  This passage contains Paul’s exhortations with respect to wives, husbands, children, fathers, slaves and masters.  We tied all of this to Col. 3:17: And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.  In addition, we made a connection to Micah 4:5: For all people walk each in the name of his god, but we will walk in the name of the LORD our God forever and ever.  Our homes and the workplace provide prime opportunities for us to declare to the watching world: Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father (Phil. 2:11).

In my preparation I came across a couple of quotes.  We will let Chuck Swindoll (my apologies but I don’t remember the source) and Howard Butt (from his book, The Velvet Covered Brick) provide today’s post. 

From Swindoll, entitles “Monday Morning Pulpits.”

Two things bother me a lot when the subject of Christians and their work is mentioned.  First, how few are genuinely happy in their jobs.  Second, how frequently I hear about Christians who are poor workers on their jobs.  Some employers have even told me that they prefer to not hire Christians.  Wow … That’s quite an indictment!  As I probe for reasons, here’s what is said. These are actual statements I’ve heard: 

They tend to be presumptuous – they take advantage of a Christian boss… 

It’s the old problem of attitude.  I find them negative, critical, resistant to change … 

Incompetence.  It seems to me that the last several I’ve hired simply could not (or would not) do the job …

They are often preoccupied with other things – witnessing, church, whatever …

Frankly … I can’t trust them when I’m not around. The last one I hired was just plain dishonest …

Okay, so these may be the exceptions … so this represents a very small minority.  I’m still bothered.  For every “exception” there’s a host of offenses and a lot of hard feelings created.  A minority apple can still spoil a majority barrel … it if’s rotten.  Show me a lazy, irritating Christian on the job and I’ll show you an office or store or customer or shop that isn’t interested in his message.  Like it or not, the world watches us with the scrutiny of a sea gull peering at a shrimp in shallow water.  The believer at work is under constant surveillance.  That’s our number one occupational hazard.  And when we speak of our Savior and the life He offers, everything we say is filtered through that which has been observed by others. 

The very best platform upon which we may build a case for Christianity at work rests on six massive pillars: integrity, faithfulness, punctuality, quality workmanship, a pleasant attitude, and enthusiasm.  Hire such a person and it will only be a matter of time before business will improve … people will be impressed … and Christianity will begin to seem important.

 * * * * *

(Howard Butt is speaking of an employee.)  He has been asked repeatedly to perform a routine ordinary job in his line of duty.  These requests he has consistently ignored. … But one consequence is inevitable.  His refusal to follow instructions does not give him power in the organization – just the opposite – his power is diminished. … My wife has more power with me that anyone else on earth.  She influences everything from the way I cut my hair to the shoes I wear on my feet.  She influences my decisions, my time, my recreation, my habits, my work, my thinking, my actions.  Who gave this particular brown-haired woman such authority with me, such power?  God gave it to her through her submission.  She does what I want her to do.  I don’t understand perfectly how this works.  But the results are inescapably obvious to us all.  The more my wife submits to me the more influence with me she has – her power is in her submission.

Conventional wisdom has thought of power as flowing from the top down.  In all of our organizations we think about authority as the man who’s ‘got it in the bag’ on top: authority is the big bag on top.  Jesus came to give us a better way to think.  He came down.  He came down to show us something new, something we hadn’t thought of: authority from the bottom up.

No comments: