Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Job 40:3-5; 42:1-6, A Letter to Edna (10)

Read Job 40:2

This just reiterates the above.  God says, "Job, you have been contending with me, correcting and rebuking me."  God allows us time to struggle but eventually He stands before us to call us to simple faith and trust in Him.

Read Job 40:3-5 and 42:1-6

These are Job's 2 responses to God's Words.  Here you see the integrity of Job.  In the first passage he is quick to confess sin, to confess his arrogance.  "I am vile."  He sees the sin in his character.  We are all sinners by nature.  "I spoke once, even twice, but now I will not answer."  He confesses the sin of his words and actions.  We are all sinners by choice.  Remember, it was not some sin that led to his suffering, but once in the suffering sin became evident.  There is nothing like a fiery trial to uncover the "corners" of pride in our souls.

42:1-6 is similar.  There is true repentance from Job.  He has seen God and in that meeting with Holiness his sin has been uncovered.  That is always the way it is with God's people.  When they meet with God they are exposed by the light of His Holiness.  Read Isaiah 6 and Ephesians 5:8-14 for more on this critical thought.

With all of the above, I'm finally finished.  Nothing like having your own personal long sermon.  Well, forgive my word-i-ness.  Remember, I have been preaching to myself all along the way.  This tragedy of yours has uncovered arrogance in my own life and heart.  I hope you find this helpful. If not, don't worry.  I know it has helped me and that is enough for me.  Be assured of our prayers for you and your wonderful family.  With all the trials I must say, Edna, you are a wonderful woman of God.  May Jesus Christ be praised!

Pastor Ron

* * * * * * * * *

I hope this has been helpful in thinking through some of the issues involved in the “tragedies” of life.  By helpful, I don’t mean printing this off and giving it to someone.  I realized as I was working through this again that the words on paper were sounding more and more like preaching.  A letter should be personal.  Face to face conversations have far more potential when it comes to ministering comfort to those in a time of trial.  So, as I say, I hope it has been helpful in thinking through some issues.  By the Spirit and by God’s grace let us be ready to minister to those around us. 

No comments: