Saturday, June 18, 2022

Job 1:13-22, A Letter to Edna (1)

Several years ago, in the church where I was the pastor, there was a woman who experienced a series of sad losses in her life.  The last was the death of a married daughter in a horse-riding accident in the nearby National Park.  I, myself, was moved by these events, though certainly not as much as Edna.  I had several conversations with her.  As it happened, about that time I also read the book of Job as part of my regular Bible plan.  So, as I read, I sought to hear what the Lord might be saying, not only to Job, but to this dear lady, and to myself.  I wrote this for her in what I called “A Letter to Edna” and asked her permission to print the letter and share it with others. 

I am going to share it with you in a series of posts.  It is not like our recent journey through Job as part of the OT Survey.  The passages are just those that the Lord used to guide my thinking about my own journey as a disciple of Christ.  I’ll be the first to admit that it comes across more as a disjointed sermon than a personal letter. 

* * * * * * * * *

Dear Edna:

Well, we are on vacation which may seem like an odd time to think about suffering.  But one of the things I did on our way through Eastern Montana and North Dakota was to read Job.  (Even while driving you can get a lot of reading done -- the roads are long and straight.)  Anyway, while reading I couldn't help but think of you and your family who have had, it seems, more than your share of suffering.

I should say too -- I don't mean to bring back cruel thoughts unnecessarily -- but on Wednesday I hiked up to Ptarmigan Tunnel and saw where your daughter had her accident.  It is a beautiful spot with a tremendous view -- I can see why they stopped to take in the view.  It is also a seemingly safe place -- plenty of room for horses and riders behind the rock retaining wall.  In spite of the steep drop-off on the other side of the wall there would be no reason to be overly-concerned about an accident.  And yet, of course, it happened.

So, I hope you don't mind -- but as I said I thought of you all while reading Job.  I want to pass on some observations that I hope will be encouraging to you.  The thoughts are related but yet each stands on its own.  You may want to read one and think about it yourself.  Then you could return to the next at a later time.

Read Job 1:13-22

I was struck by the frequency of Job's suffering -- 4 major catastrophes in one day.  You too have had one "hit" after another: your husband’s passing, your grandson’s father-in-law who I believe you said had just recently died, your grandson’s difficulties.  And now your daughter.  And who knows what may come tomorrow?  For Job in Chapter 2 the suffering became more personal when he was afflicted with painful sores.

No comments: