Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Job 10:1-12, A Letter to Edna (4)

Read Job 9:27-28 and 27:8

Job addresses an important issue here.  Sometimes in grief we just cover our sorrow by pasting a smile on our face instead of truly dealing with issues.  Now this can be complicated.  For example, Edna, I saw you during the days immediately after Connie's death and at times you appeared quite strong.  As mother/matriarch it seems that you felt the need to lead your family.  But I also know from what you said that you had periods of weeping and deep sorrow.  We need to understand that grief has an important role in our lives and we must not be content to just cover it with a smile.

The issues of grief have to do with our hope (in whom do I really trust?) and our understanding and acceptance of Who God is.  Job struggled in these areas.  But look at what he says: "If I just cover them with a smile I am afraid of my sufferings."  We must be concerned that our sufferings could leave us angry or bitter or self-confident, etc.  Though it involves struggle, we must deal with our grief-issues head-on.  It's hard but we are praying for you all and stand ready to help.

Read Job 10:8-12

These verses are comforting in the struggle.  It is a reminder that God, our Creator, knows us and our limits.  In the struggle we can ask Him to preserve our spirit.  You may feel at times that your "share" of suffering is more than you can bear.  But that is a temptation -- a trap -- from the enemy who desires to sow bitterness against God.  The beauty is that God will sustain us -- all the way to the cross if necessary.  Consider these words of comfort:

{       1 Corinthians 10:13

{       Psalm 103

{       Hebrews 12:1-4

Read Job 13:15

These are words of confidence in God that are often quoted.  Remember that he says this in the midst of his struggle to understand what God is doing and why.  As a matter of fact, we seldom quote the last half of this verse but it gives context.  Job is saying: "I will defend myself -- God is not doing me right.  Nevertheless I will draw the line -- I will not deny God, even though He slay me."

The truth is so important.  One must guard his or her spirit against crossing the line of denying God.  Remember that even Jesus struggled in the Garden of Gethsemane.  He would rather not go through with the suffering.  BUT He was always quick to say -- "Not my will but Thine be done."  That's why we know He understands our human weakness (Hebrews 4:14-16).  But do we also see and experience His strength to say, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him?"

No comments: