Saturday, October 3, 2020

Isaiah 14:12-21, I Will, I Will, I Will (Pride)

 I want to begin today with a series of quotes from Matthew Henry.

God is often angry at that in us which we are ourselves are proud of and sees much amiss in that which we think was done well. … Pride is a sin which men have reason to be themselves ashamed of; it is a shame to a man who springs out of the earth, who lives upon alms, depends upon God, and has forfeited all he has, to be proud. … It is a gracious ambition to covet to be more holy than others, but it is a proud ambition to covet to appear so.

Pride is prevalent across the human race.  But just as prevalent, across the pages of Scripture, is the promise of God to humble those who exalt themselves and exalt those who humble themselves.  Here is a sampling from Scripture; I encourage you take some time to read and respond to these appropriately: Lev. 26:19; Psalm 18:27; 52:6-7; Prov. 11:2; Isa. 2:11; 3:16-17; 5:13; 13:11; 22:19; 23:9; 24:4; Jer. 49:16; Dan. 4:37; Obadiah 3,4; Matt. 23:12; Luke 1:52; 14:11; 18:14; Rev. 18:7-8.

How does the proud heart speak?  What words does it utter?

·       Ultimately, every statement of pride in some way says, “I am God.”  (Ezek. 28:2,12-17; Gen. 3:4-5; Isa. 14:12-14).

·       Pride asks, “am I my brother’s keeper?” (Gen. 4:9)

·       Pride demands to know, “Who put you in charge?” (Num. 16:3,12-14)

·       Pride vows, “I’ll get you for that!” (Esther 3:5-6)

·       Pride says, “nobody can get me now.” (Jer. 49:4)

·       Pride brags, “look at what I did, all by myself.” (Dan. 4:30)

·       Pride chides, “It’s Reverend Youde to you!” (Matt. 23:6-11)

·       Pride says, “I’m glad I’m not like him.” (Luke 18:11)

·       Pride says nothing when others give it glory that belongs to God (Ac. 12:21-23).

Here are some simple thoughts about pride:

Ø All these proud people (in the above list) were humbled by God.

Ø Pride will destroy you.  It always goes before a fall. (Prov. 16:18)

Ø Pride will destroy relationships.

Ø Pride will keep you out of heaven.

Ø God will resist the proud person. (James 4:6a)

Ø Christ died for proud people.

Ø God gives grace to the humble. (James 4:6b)

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time (1 Peter 5:6).

No comments: