Monday, April 23, 2018

That I Might Finish My Course


(#1057, Imperial, 1964)
Read Acts 20:24; 2 Tim. 4:7-8.
A Christian's work is never finished until the Lord comes.  Our desire is that we might finish.

ƒ      There is a course to be followed.
w    A plan: God has a plan for each of His children.  God's plan is best.  To miss God's plan is to miss the abundant life.  Note that God had a plan for His Son (Jn. 6:38).
w    A ministry: God had a ministry for His Son too (Mark 10:40).
w    A warfare: When the sinner accepts Christ the battle begins. For this warfare God's weapons are mighty (2 Cor. 10:3-4).
w    A keeping of the faith: Demas did not keep the faith but went back to the world.  Heb. 11 gives the account of those who kept the faith (v32-39) though there is a cost in keeping the faith (2 Cor. 11:23-27).

ƒ      There is a course to be finished (with joy).  How?
w    Not being moved by things.  We are too greatly moved by things today.  But man's life does not consist in the abundance of things.  We must seek God first and let Him add the things we need (Matt. 6:33).  Like Paul we must count all things loss (Phil. 3:8).
w    Neither counting my life dear.  We put too high a price on our lives.  Remember, Christ made Himself no reputation.  Christ troubled Himself.  Christ  was obedient to death.
w    Loving His appearing.  How does this help us finish?
    1.  It keeps us on a straight course (Titus 2:11-14).
    2.  It bears us up in the days of trial (Rom. 8:18).
    3.  It purifies the life (1 John 3:3).

 But none of these things move me; neither do I esteem my life dear to myself, if only I may finish my course with joy, and the ministry which I have obtained [entrusted to me by] the Lord Jesus, faithfully to attest the good news (Gospel) of God's grace -- His unmerited favor, spiritual blessing and mercy. (Amplified)

No comments: