Sunday, December 4, 2016

Psalm 119:9-16


The previous stanza was concerned with our ways.  This stanza begins with a related and appropriate question, How can a young man cleanse his way (v9)?  The question is not so much concerned with the need for forgiveness when we sin.  Rather it concerns the general cleansing of our way (note the singular again), so that the path of life we have chosen is itself cleared of ideas and temptations that would cause us to wander (v10).  This clearing of the path is obviously best done in one’s youth, before our lives become over-burdened with the consequences of sin.

We cleanse our way, our general approach to life, by …
·        v9: taking heed according to God’s word.  To take heed is to listen to and learn Scripture with a view to application and obedience.
·        v10: seeking God with a whole heart.  We must set aside private time with God when we seek Him without interruption.

·        v11: hiding His word in our hearts.  There is no other way to think God’s thoughts than by memorizing His word.  Not just isolated verses but whole sections must be learned.  This is the foundation for thought and action in the cleansed way.
·        v12: being teachable.  When we plead with God to teach us we show a teachable spirit.

·        v13: reciting God’s word.  The memorized Word is soundly embedded in the heart as we verbalize it. 
·        v14: rejoicing in the word.  How would we rejoice with the gift of a large sum of money.  We need the same attitude towards God’s word.  When in Israel at the end of the feast of Tabernacles I was walking by a synagogue one evening as they were winding the Torah back from Deuteronomy to Genesis.  The event was accompanied by the wonderful sound of loud rejoicing by the participants.  God’s word is more precious than silver or gold and should bring that kind of joy.

·        v15: meditation and contemplation.  The memorized word becomes part of the thought process as we think on it and relate it to our lives.
·        v16: delighting in His word.  The things in which we delight we frequently repeat.  So it must be with the Word.  Repeated enjoyment of the Word will make it fresh, not to be forgotten.

Young or old, now is the time to cleanse your way by deep involvement in the word of God.  If you are involved in the lives of children make it your ministry to encourage them in memorization of God’s word.  Make daily reading and study of Scripture a necessary part of your life.
* * * * * * *
Meditation: How about an old man?  Can I be cleansed, v9?  The question is, have I been wholehearted?  No!  Thus I have wandered, v10.  I have hid His word in my heart as a guard against sin, v11.  He has taught me, v12, as I have been declaring His word to others, v13.  But can I say that it has been more satisfying to me than riches, v14?  The problem is that I have not regularly meditated and contemplated on that hidden word, v15; that is the key to internalizing, making it real to me.  Then it would be my delight so that I would not forget it on the pathway of life, v16.  Oh my Father, may Your word reach ever deeper into my life, not only to discern but to change the thoughts and intents of my heart!

No comments: