Sunday, December 25, 2016

Psalm 119:33-40


People often speak of “living without regret”. Perhaps you have heard it said at a funeral that the deceased “died with no regrets”.  Wouldn’t you like to stand before your Lord at His judgment seat with “no regrets”?

Probably the best known death-bed statement in Scripture that speaks of “no regret” is Paul’s claim from prison shortly before losing his life: “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith” (2 Tim. 4:7).  But he would never have come to that place had he not lived as he did in Acts 20:24.  When warned about the dangers that awaited him in Jerusalem he said, “But none of these things move me, nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus.”

This stanza is about endurance, whole-hearted endurance.  The Psalmist’s goal is to keep on the way of truth “to the end” (v33) and “with his whole heart” (v34).  Without question this will be a delightful path (v35) though full of affliction and trouble.

But “no regret” living is concerned not only with how we come to the Word; it is concerned with how we deal with distractions.  Thus the Psalmist tackles two major distractions head on: covetousness (v36) and worthless things (v37).

Think about how much time is spent on “things”, all that involves the “lust of the eyes”.  Every new possession requires proper time both to use it and to maintain it.  One must ask of every item if it contributes to “no regret living”.  Jesus taught us to lay up treasure in heaven rather than on earth (Matt. 6:19-21).

As for worthless things, we must ask the same question.  Worth has to do with God and eternity (2 Cor. 4:17-18).  How often have I claimed frustration that I have no time to pray or to build meaningful relationships with those around me that I might show them Christ, and yet find time for activities that have no eternal value at all?

The proper use of time in the Word will allow God to establish it in us (v38), thus causing us to be rooted and grounded.  Perhaps today is a good day to pray vs. 36-37 that we might finish the race with joy.

No comments: