Sunday, December 20, 2015

Psalm 70


Here is a simple song of “remembrance” (as the title says).  It seems to have no specific event in mind; it’s just the basics.  And it is written in simple Hebrew poetic form.  Note the rhyming of ideas.

Hurry
    Deliver me
        Help me
(v1)


        Hurry
    Deliver me
Help me
(v5)

Against those who
seek my life,
desire my hurt
and say “aha”

(v2-3)
For those who
seek you,
love your salvation
and say “Let God be magnified”
 (v4)


We have seen in countless of the Psalms the prayer for God’s help and deliverance from the wicked.  These prayers comes from a wide variety of situations, some of the Psalmists own making and others where he is the innocent party.  But the prayers are similar: help me against those who are against you, and for the sake of your people as well as for me.

So Psalm 70 is for those of us who need it short and sweet.  Five verses to MEMORIZE that will fit in any situation in life.  Remember we face a terrible foe, a roaring lion who would love to devour us (Eph. 6:12; 1 Peter 5:8).  And ultimately our problems are bigger than us.  They involve those around us that they might not be hurt should we stumble.  And ultimately it is all about the glory of God.  His Name will be magnified if He is the one we call on in trouble.

No comments: