We are not going to study at this time the term “exhort” in 2 Tim. 4:2. It is important, but it is also huge. It is the Greek parakaleō and parakalèsis, comfort, encouragement, literally “coming alongside someone to walk with them.” Obviously, in the matter of pastoral ministry, this is a fantastic truth. In my current location (we are overseas helping some missionary friends, and this is the day each week I sit at a coffee shop in the train station so I can study) I am not readily able to tackle the subject. Perhaps I am not ready “out of season.” Nevertheless, we will do this later.
But I do want to consider Paul’s imperative in v5: But you be watchful in all things. This term is not the “be on the alert” often used in the context of the latter days (e.g. Mt. 24:42). It means to be sober, to be calm and collected in spirit. We have it as a verb (6x) and adjective (3x). It adds a constant attitude which will enable us to watch or be on the alert. This attitude is not distracted by extreme business or distraction but rather is calm, watchful for what might arise. Thus you will see it used in connection with the idea of watching. The uses are important in the NT. First, the verb.
· 1 Thess. 5:6,8: Let us not sleep but let us watch and be sober. Let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation.
· 2 Tim. 4:5: Timothy was to be watchful in all things.
· 1 Peter 1:13: Gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, rest your hope fully upon the grace to be brought at the revelation of Christ.
· 1 Peter 4:7: The end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious (another “sober” term that is more like “sober” as we think of it, not being drunk) and watchful in your prayers.
· 1 Peter 5:8: Be sober, be vigilant (a “watch” term meaning literally to be awake and not asleep) for the devil walks about as a roaring lion.
And now the adjective.
· 1 Tim. 3:2,11: A bishop must be blameless … temperate, soberminded (the “not like a drunk” term). Wives of deacons must be reverent (yet another term related to being serious; this is an issue), not slanderers, temperate.
· Titus 2:2: Older men should be sober, reverent (same as the wives in the previous passage), temperate (the not-drunk-like term). As we said, and we should see, the attitude reflected here is important for a Christian. I hope I, and we, are well-instructed in this matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment