Saturday, November 11, 2023

Psalm 83, A Prayer for Israel, and Gaza and …

Those of you who know me might be a bit surprised that we have not spent more time reflecting on the current situation in Israel/Gaza.  I want to do that in this and following posts.  Specifically, I would like to call your attention to some Biblical absolutes concerning Israel and the nations. 

I have had some ask whether the promise to Abraham in Gen. 12:1-3 still fits, especially the part where God said He would bless those who bless Israel and curse those who curse Israel.  I am not going to deal with that question, partly because it is not germane to the present situation.  If I believe that the Abrahamic Covenant is still in effect (which I do), I also believe that God promised to judge disobedient Israel with years of wandering and fear (Deut. 28:64-68).  Since there is no Davidic king in Israel today, it is likely that Israel is still in that fearful time.  It is still “the times of the Gentiles” (when the nations rule over Israel); that time continues into the seven year “time of Jacob’s trouble” (Rev. 11:2). 

You might ask if what has happened in Israel in the last 150 years is the regathering to the land promised by the prophets.  It could be.  But, like the Satmar sect of Hasidic Judaism, I have questions about the establishment of Israel.  While I appreciate the Zionists and the role of the British as well as the United States in the establishment, it seems unlikely to me that what we see today is the great work of restoration that God promised Israel.  Further, I believe there is still a “dispersion” of Jews in the future, during the tribulation period, when God will protect His redeemed nation in the desert while the rest of the nation is enduring terrible tribulation (Rev. 12:13-17). 

Having just spent two paragraphs talking about things I don’t want to talk about, it all leads me to Psalm 83.  In this Psalm, I believe you find the prayer we should have for Israel today.  No, it’s not “pray for the peace of Jerusalem.”  Pray that if you wish.  And add, what I often hear when people pray that prayer: “We know, oh Lord, that there will be no peace until Jesus comes.”  But I mention another prayer because it comes from a Psalm that seems to fit today.

·                   83:1-4: This is what Hamas, and many other neighbors of Israel, are saying today.  Let’s destroy Israel.  “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.”  In other words, no Israel.  My totally inadequate knowledge of the situation is that the average Palestinian might not say this.  But the leadership does.

·                   83:5-8: The confederacy seems to be the same.  Israel’s traditional enemies are similar today, only called by different names.  Examine the map.  I’m not calling this the “Ps. 83 War” as I have seen.  I’m just saying that Israel’s close neighbors continue to be Israel’s neighbors.


·                   83:9-12: Something similar happened in the time of the Judges.  The Psalmist recalls that event as he seeks the Lord’s help in the current event.  There is not one “Ps. 83 War.”  It’s just the way it is with Israel.

·                   83:13-18: In this last stanza we come to the prayer.  He prays for God’s help in such a way that God receives the glory.  That they may know that You, whose name alone is the LORD, are the Most High over all the earth (v18). 

o   This is what God has said He will do.  He said it in the famous “Song of Moses,” that the time would come when Israel’s enemies would start to think they had decimated Israel by their own power.  At that point, God, for the glory of His name, would intervene (Deut. 32:26,39-42).  He will not do this so that Israel gets the glory, or the IDF, or the USA, or the UN, or Bibi (Benjamin Netanyahu).  God must be glorified. 

o   Further, God made this clear through Ezekiel (Ezek. 36:22-38).  God cannot, and will not, bring an end to the suffering of Israel and the times of the Gentiles until it brings honor to Him.  The whole world will know that God was punishing Israel, but that He was also keeping His promise to Abraham. 

No comments: