Thursday, September 22, 2022

1 Cor. 8:1; Titus 3:9-11, The Security of the Believer (1)

Get ready.  I’m going to ramble for a while. šŸ˜Š

When I was growing up one of the most frequently debated subjects in youth group (yes, we had theological discussions) was “eternal security.”  That’s what we called it.  I don’t hear that terminology much, which is fine.  It’s not specifically Biblical.  The Bible talks about “keeping” and “perseverance” and “endurance” and other terms.  What we were debating was whether or not you could “lose your salvation.”  If not, then your position was, “once-saved-always-saved.”  I didn’t care for that too much either, although it was an accurate way to state what you believed if you believed in “eternal security.”  For me, the problem was that “o-s-a-s” sounded like it doesn’t really matter how you live your life as a Christian; if you were saved then you’re in regardless of how you live.  And, of course, in the Bible it always matters how you live your life.

Now why did this subject come up in youth group?  I think the answer was that our “community” church was made up of a diverse collection of believers, many of whom had roots in the dust bowl days of Oklahoma and Texas.  Many had Methodist background, which would be Wesleyan (you can lose your salvation), and others were Baptist (they varied on the subject).  I’m not sure I have it right, but my understanding was that our church was a union of Presbyterian and Methodist churches in the early 1900’s.  That, in itself, might call for disagreement on this very issue, if either group of people cared that deeply about theology.  I just went on the web page for this church and found this in their statement of beliefs.  Note that they still refer to the doctrine as “eternal security.”

Eternal Security of Believers

We believe that all the redeemed, once saved, are kept by God's power and are thus secure in Christ forever. 
John 6:37-40John 10:27-30; Romans 8:1; Romans 8:38-39 ; 1 Corinthians 1:4-81 Peter 1:5

I would be interested as to when our church adopted this position.  I have a suspicion it was not that way from the start.  My dad became the pastor of the church in 1953.  I couldn’t tell you the church’s official position at that time, although I know my dad’s position.

For what it’s worth, as a young person I became pretty convinced in what we always called the “Calvinist” view.  Today I would not characterize it that way.  I would just say it’s the Biblical view.  But I would also like to say that I learned, as a young person, that people who held the opposing view were some of my spiritual heroes.  They were godly people!  They cared as deeply as anyone should about the integrity of Scripture.  That may explain why, when I entered pastoral ministry, I was able to be the shepherd at churches that were of a “community” nature, by which I mean, groups of people who varied on some doctrines that have split churches and denominations over the years.  We were able to work together.  The key was that everyone believed the Scriptures to be “the final authority for faith and life,” as church doctrinal statements often put it.  The pastor was expected to teach the Bible.  If it was known to be a controversial topic where there could be grace applied, then that’s the way he taught.  He might even present two differing viewpoints on a doctrine, and tell you why he thought one view was correct, and then tell you how, Biblically, you could work with others who did not share your view.  We would be reminded, “Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies” (1 Cor. 8:1).  And in the end, each church had a statement on “eternal security” much like the one above.  It was always a wonderful thing, how many people were part of these churches, who disagreed on what could be considered divisive issues, such as “security,” the gifts of the Spirit, the extent of the atonement, and so on.  Yet, even if they disagreed with my teaching, they were there because, in my view, they found a loving fellowship and a love for the word of God.

The first of these churches was in SE Colorado.  My ministry began as an “interim pastor,” travelling 280 miles each way from Denver on the weekends, in my final year of seminary.  Then we spent an additional 7 years there.  What a blessing!  In the town of 1000 people were two Baptist Churches (ours came out of the other; I always said, you have to have at least 2 Baptist churches), a Methodist Church, Wesleyan Church, Friends Church, and a Church of Christ.  A couple of my best friends were the young pastors at the Wesleyan and Friends congregations.  We disagreed on this topic, yet had such a great fellowship.  

At one point, a retired Wesleyan pastor and his wife began attending our church.  Again, they appreciated the Bible teaching approach.  The congregation loved them.  They were, again, great testimonies of the life of Christ at work in them.  I asked him to preach on a Sunday evening once while we were vacationing.  When I returned, I found that he had decided to preach contrary to our doctrinal statement on the subject.  It kind of surprised me.  Then, members of a small group they were part of came to me, asking about the doctrine of “soul sleep” which this pastor had apparently raised in the group.  I accepted their invitation to come to the group and share our understanding of Scripture on that subject.  And then the time came when I was moved to work through this topic of “eternal security.”  It was something I shared in a small setting, with that retired man present.  I produced it in an outline form and, with only a few additional comments, that is what I’m going to share over the next few posts. 

I suspect there would be people, men in pastoral ministry or seminary profs, who might say I should never have allowed this couple to be a part of our church.  To this day I disagree.  I was a young pastor at the time and was learning how to shepherd the flock.  I did value sound doctrine, but also understood a couple of other things.  First, the presence of contrary teaching can provide an opportunity to teach the truth.  And second, in SE Colorado, and in Montana where I have served for the last 40+ years, where there are not a lot of people, there is value in working hard to love each other in the Body of Christ and to work through these issues, rather than making division the primary tool of dealing with doctrinal differences. 

The Titus passage in today’s reading is important.  It tells us to avoid certain discussions, things that don’t deserve to be fought over.  And then it says to reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition.  In between those two commands is a lot of space, where people are not divisive but genuinely searching the Scriptures, on subjects of great importance.  We need to be in a relationship of love with those folks, and not puffed up.

No comments: