Saturday, February 20, 2021

Rom. 14:14-23, Through Love Serve One Another

Perhaps you are excited to move on to the “fruit of the Spirit.”  It is truly a wonderful study in Scripture.  But I have some things I want to share related to what we have seen to this point in Gal. 5. 

For example, 5:13 says do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.  How do I know when I need to limit my freedom to serve others?  Romans 14 presents me with a number of questions I ought to ask concerning my actions. 

1.    14:6-9: Am I performing this act TO THE LORD?  In Galatians terminology, when we are controlled by the flesh, and thus serving ourselves, that is the time when we must limit our liberty.  We are not walking in the Spirit.

2.    14:13-15: Am I hindering the growth of a brother by this action? When my action will likely cause a brother to stumble love calls me to serve him rather than exercise my right to freedom.

3.    14:16,18: Am I fostering a poor reputation?  It is important that we be acceptable to God and, as much as possible, approved by men.  Reputation can do a lot to open or close doors for the gospel.  Remember: Paul is not saying here that we live for the love of men, only that we seek not to have unnecessary roadblocks to the work of the gospel.

4.    14:17: Am I sacrificing a higher priority for a lesser priority?  Eating and drinking is part of life.  But it is not our life consuming priority. 

5.    14:19: Am I encouraging peace in the fellowship?  Any body of believers is a collection of people at every marker along the road to spiritual maturity.  Thus, the limitation of liberty in deference to others must be considered.  In addition, our liberties are not necessarily the liberties of others.  For the sake of oneness in the Body of Christ we may have to defer or tolerate for the basis of peace.

6.    14:19: Am I building up a brother by this act?  In the Body of Christ, edification is what it is all about.  Our gatherings provide opportunities for each individual believer to use his or her gifts for the sake of others.  We must be willing to accommodate the times and interests and needs of others.

7.    14:22-23: Am I convinced (free of doubt) about this action?  This is a principle for all our actions.  Whatever is not of faith is sin. 

All of these questions, indeed the entire 14th chapter of Romans, can be seen to fit under the principle of serving one another through love.  They fit the command to love your neighbor as yourself.  And they are fundamental to walking in the Spirit. 

No comments: