Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Acts 15:1-12, Introduction to Galatians (3)

6.  Content (how is the theme of Galatians carried out).

Paul accomplished his purpose in three steps.  First, he establishes his authority as an apostle so the Galatians will listen to him and not the false.  In establishing his authority he makes himself a personal testimony of the doctrine, “the just shall live by faith.”  Then Paul reiterates the doctrine that “a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Christ Jesus” (2:16).  Finally, he teaches principles that will enable us to live this truth out in daily practice.

7.  Outline (what is the framework of Galatians).

Each of the above three steps are covered in two of the six chapters of Galatians.  This chard will help visualize the arrangement of the letter.

ISSUE

AUTHORITY

LAW vs. GRACE

FREE TO SERVE

TYPE OF ARGUMENT

Biographical

Doctrinal

Practical

PASSAGE

1:1             2:21

3:1             4:31

5:1          6:18

CONTENT

Source of the gospel

Essence of the gospel

Impact of the gospel

CHRIST IN US

Revealed

Living

Ruling

8.  Key verses in Galatians.

Gal. 2:20: I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me.  And the life that I now live I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Gal. 5:1: Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.

Here are some other verses worthy of memorization.

·       3:13 (curse of the cross)

·       4:4-5 (fullness of time)

·       5:13-15 (free to serve)

·       5:22-23 (fruit of the Spirit)

·       6:7-9 (sowing and reaping)

·       6:14 (boasting in the cross)

I can hear you now: It’s all worthy of memorization.  Fine. So, memorize it all.  To me, these are highlights.  The thing about reading and studying Galatians is that the Lord will point out some highlights to you.  Let us be listening!

No comments: