Saturday, August 22, 2020

Psalm 71, Further Meditation on this Psalm (2)

 Here are some further notes on Psalm 71.

·       71:5: My testimony is that I believe I trusted in Christ for salvation when I was a child.  But when I look back, I might not be so bold as the Psalmist is here.  My relationship with Him was very up and down in walking in the flesh and walking in the Spirit.  Yet, I thank Him, my Rock, for His faithful “fathering” of me.

·       71:9: The Psalmist is thankful for the same thing, because he is writing these words in his old age, not in his youth.  Old age is a time when “strength” fails.  This is not a “rock” term but rather is a simple word for physical ability or power.  You may wonder about these words?  Is the Psalmist questioning God’s faithfulness?  I don’t believe so, although if he is it does not take away from the truth of this passage.  At the most he is recognizing his own weakness more and more.  It is a new time of life for him, and he is unfamiliar with the path.  Yet, what we see is that he still calls out to the Lord.  He still has enemies (v10-11).

·       71:12: Here is a similar cry: Do not be far from me … make haste to help me.  These cries are similar to the man who, when Jesus asked him if he had faith to be healed, he cried, help my unbelief!  He would not be crying out to God if he doubted God’s faithfulness.  We can know that God will never leave us nor forsake us (Heb. 13:5); yet we cry out for our own assurance.  We do not know the Psalmist but it might have been David.  In his old age David likely prayed just like this, given the afflictions he brought on himself by his sinful acts.

·       71:18: Now we add this thought to the previous ones.  The Psalmist is not all wrapped up in his own doubts.  He wants God to stay with him until I declare Your strength to this generation!  What a prayer!!  Here we have yet another term for power and might.  “Strength” is Heb. zerowa.  The first use of this term is in Gen. 49:24 where Jacob is blessing his son Joseph.  Let us look at several words for “strength” in that verse.  (The NT similarly has multiple terms for strength and might.)

o   But his bow remained in his strength (Heb. eythan, strength that is perpetual, constant, ever-flowing).

o   And the arms (Heb. zerowa, the term in Ps. 71:18, used of the forearm, shoulder, strong parts of the body).

o   Of his hands were made strong (Heb. pazaz, to abound, be agile or supple).

o   By the hands of the mighty (Heb. abiyr, strong, mighty, used only of God).

o   God of Jacob (from there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel).

·       Meditate on the closing verses.  God is righteous; He who showed him many troubles, will comfort the Psalmist (v19-21) that he might declare His righteousness all day long (v24).  Praise His Name!

No comments: