Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Psalm 119:169-176, Further Meditation on “tau”

 

·       119:169-170:  There are two great prayers that begin this last stanza of Ps. 119.  He cries for understanding; he makes supplication for deliverance.  But notice the matching phrase: according to Your word.  There is a recognition of God’s consistency, His truth.  He does not act contrary to His word.  This is the way I need to pray.  I must not come asking God for understanding and deliverance as I imagine it should it.  I must ask for that which conforms to His word.  He can do nothing else.

·       119:171: “Oh Lord, I do praise you for teaching me Your statutes.”  As I read this verse I reflected back, several days ago, for the Lord to bring revival to my life.  I believe He did that in a significant measure this last week.  Praise Him!

·       119:172: Again, as I read this on a Sunday, I will be listening to others preach.  But wait, I will still engage in conversation.  It is still my prayer that my tongue shall speak of Your word.  What other words do I want to speak?  For all Your commandments are righteousness

·       119:173: What a wonderful fact!  Your hand does, truly, become my help when I choose Your precepts.  So not only do I want to speak your words; I want to live Your life, the life of my Lord Jesus Christ.

·       119:174-175:  Further, what is my hope, my perseverance?  I confidently face days ahead because my longings are not earth-bound but are for Your salvation.  And Lord, if You keep my soul, if I continue to live on this earth, I am committed to praising You

119:176:  The last verse of the longest Psalm.  Wow!  What an ending!  I have gone astray like a lost sheep; SEEK YOUR SERVANT, for I do not forget Your commandments.  In other words, Your word is always there to speak to me.  Even if it is through my conscience.  Or from earlier memorization.  Or by parental upbringing.  They are always before him.  The end of the Psalm is not the end of the need for the word of God in my life.  “Lord, may this be so for my children and my grandchildren.  My wife.  And for me!” 

No comments: