Monday, June 22, 2020

Psalm 119:129-136, “The Entrance of Thy Words Gives Light”

(Yes, this is a follow-up, or better, another thought, about this stanza from Psalm 119.)
I am encouraged when I see some degree of a logical progress in these stanzas of Psalm 119.  I see it in this stanza.

My soul cannot keep (119:129) what has not entered the soul (119:130). 

·       The word “entrance” is the noun form of the verb pathach, a frequently used term in the OT.  It means “to open wide, to loosen, to begin, to plough.” 

·       It is the term used of “opening the womb” of Leah and Rachel; it was used of Joseph “opening the storehouses” of Egypt.  In the former, this opening was done by God.  In the latter, it was done by a man.  We believe that opening up the life for the word of God requires both.  God must illumine us by His Spirit; we must, with God’s help, rid ourselves of distractions, hindrances, rebellion and whatever else might keep us from hearing and heeding.  This is why the prophet told the people to break up the fallow ground so as to hear the word of the LORD (Hosea 10:12-13).

LORD, open my heart to receive Your word!  Open my mouth to speak Your word, boldly and clearly.  Open the hearts of those listening, to receive Your word, not as the words of men but as the word of the living God!

Entrance to the soul is better when I “pant” (deeply desire, 119:131) the word.  Blessed are those that hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.  When we join with other believers in worship, it is best when we come with eager anticipation and not in laziness.

We then seek mercy from the LORD (119:132), that by the Spirit, the Illuminator, the light will be turned on that we might see the truth of God’s word.  Isn’t that wonderful: THIS IS GOD’S CUSTOM.  Further, we must ask the LORD to direct our steps, to show us how His word fits specific situations in our lives (119:133).  Don’t complain because the preacher isn’t “practical enough” in his preaching.  Pardon me, but the preacher does not know my heart, sin, doubts, worries.  It is foolish for me to think that he will always or ever have something to say that fits me.  God must direct my steps.

We should also pray that the LORD will redeem us from the oppression of man (119:134).  When I read this my first thought was that our governmental leaders have prevented Christians from gathering during the recent pandemic.  It is true that oppressive leadership can create issues for us.  But to be honest, the real oppression is internal or spiritual; the real problem is how we allow the words and actions of others to oppress us.  Even in a dictatorship Christians can keep God’s word; we must ask the LORD to deliver us from these things that hinder us.

How do I know this?  Because I see that the Psalmist prays make Your face to shine upon Your servant (119:135).  This is what I need: the blessing of God upon me.  This reminds us of the Aaronic Blessing of Num. 6:24-26.  His blessing, His face turned to me in grace and favor, that is what I need in order for His word to find entrance into my soul.  Then, perhaps, I will grieve over the sin in this world that so dishonors God (119:136).  AMEN!

No comments: