Monday, November 4, 2019

2 Thessalonians 3:12-18

Paul concludes his instruction on the matter of disorderliness in vs. 12-15.  What he says is quite significant for us today. 

·        First, he summarizes what we are to “put on” when we “put off” disorderliness or laziness.  We are to work in quietness and eat (our) own bread.  The word quietness is set against the word busybodies (v11).  In our job we are not to be those who stir up trouble or who are putting our nose into the work of others.  Rather we are to do our work faithfully and skillfully.  Of course, we should have a friendly relationship with those we work alongside.  But when we are on the job our goal is to please the “master” (boss, supervisor).  In this way we honestly earn a living so as to meet the needs of our family.

·        At the same time, living a “quiet” life does not mean we are to be hermits, depriving ourselves of any relationships with others.  So in v13 Paul encourages us to be faithful (do not grow weary) in doing good.  We may wonder how we are to be a witness for Christ on the job if we are quiet.  The answer is that doing one’s work well is itself the most powerful testimony we can have in the workplace.  Both at the workplace and outside the workplace our lives should be characterized by doing good.  We are not to be busybodies at work, but when someone asks for help or advice, we will be quick to come alongside them.  And then we may, in the name of Christ, extend ourselves to have a relationship outside work whereby we might be used of the Lord to share Christ with them.

·        The third instruction from Paul applies to the community of believers.  Paul calls for discipline, but a carefully defined form of discipline.  On the one hand we are not to join with the disorderly brother in his lazy and irresponsible behavior.  The hope is that if he is alone in his behavior, he will be ashamed and will “grow up.”  Lately there has been an advertisement about a guy at a party who jumps in the swimming pool at a party.  The add says that when you do this in the movies everyone else jumps in; but in real life, you jump in, and nobody follows.  The result is: you look like a fool.  That’s what Paul is talking about.

I don’t like to admit too many of the “sins of my youth” but I’ll share an experience here that says that what Paul is saying here is quite effective.  As a young man I got infatuated with little cigars, cigarillo’s they called them.  One day when a friend of mine and I were going to the mountains for some fun I took a pack along.  I offered one to my friend and he took it, for whatever reason, and we both lit up.  Later in the day I offered him another one, and he politely said “no” and let me know that this wasn’t something he wanted to do.  Immediately I took the one I was about to enjoy and with the rest of the pack threw them in the trash.  I was ashamed because I knew I was just being a rebellious little twit (a British term for foolish and silly person).  My friend would not join me in it, although he did not treat me as an enemy.  He admonished me as a brother.

Here’s a point for us to keep in mind.  We do have responsibility for our brother, for our family in Christ.  We need to be willing to help and be helped in growing in the grace and knowledge of Christ.  Let us ask for wisdom and truly love our brothers.

No comments: