Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Luke 23:33-46, The Seven Last Words of Christ (1)

On “Good Friday” in 1968, I had a blessed experience with the Lord.  I was working in downtown Los Angeles while I was at Biola.  My boss, at the Ace Print Shop, permitted me to go around the corner to the Church of the Open Door (the original location of the Bible Institute of Los Angeles, and where J. Vernon McGee was pastor during my Biola years) and attend part of their Good Friday services.  They had 7 half hour segments, each with a congregational song, special music and one of their pastors speaking on one of the “seven last words of Christ” from the cross.  Growing up in my church, I don’t remember an emphasis on the seven last words.  Perhaps that was why it meant so much to me in 1968, and why I have preached on them in my own ministry.  For two posts I would like to present these words of Jesus, along with brief notes from one of the occasions when I have led a congregation in the study of these words.  May the Lord encourage you in your faith in Christ as you meditate on what our Lord considered important during those hours at Calvary.

WORDS

SCRIP.

TRUTH

Father, forgive them…

Lk. 23:34

Rom. 5:12-14

1)    Jesus prayed (1st, 4th, 7th sayings).

2)    Did not pray for Himself.

a)    Prayed for those around Him.

b)    Thus He condemned himself.

3)    This saying reminds us WHY He 

was there & WHO put Him there.

Amen. With me.

Lk 23:43

Rom. 4:5-8

1)    Classic illus. of

a)    “faith alone”.

b)    The inability of man to please 

God by works.

2)    No clearer picture that “God 

justifies the ungodly.”

Woman, behold thy son…

Jn. 19:26-27

Mt. 1:20-23

1)    This speaks loudly of the 

uniqueness of Christ as Savior!

2)    The point is NOT the 

importance of family.

a)    Though He was fulfilling 

a family responsibility.

b)    Mary had been there 

at the start, Jn 2.

c)    Mary had been with others 

who thought He was crazy.

3)    The point is that Mary 

too needed salvation!

a)    After the cross Jesus & 

Mary were not family.

b)    Rather they are Savior/

Believer (Ac 1).


No comments: