Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Gen. 1:1-13, Dr. Bolton Davidheiser

In the previous post I mentioned my personal journey on the question of Creation and how we are to understand Gen. 1-11.  Before I share some more basic truths that were helpful for me in coming to the truth of the Bible, I want to give thanks for a professor at Biola in the late 1960’s.  I entered Biola as a Sophomore /Junior after 2 years at a California Junior College.  In JC I had taken a very enjoyable Biology class.  We worked our way in class and in labs from single cell animals to frogs and cats.  It was clearly a course based in evolution, but to his credit the teacher didn’t really make a big deal about it. 

I had been raised in a Christian home.  My father was a wonderful pastor-teacher.  I think I assumed the truth of the Bible’s account of creation.  When I heard of the discoveries of science (e.g. some bones found of a millions of years old human) my attitude was to assume both were correct and could be fit together.  At some point I heard a preacher teach on the “Gap Theory” (millions or billions of years fit between Gen. 1:1 and 1:2) and thought it must be right.  That’s probably the way I was thinking when I arrived at Biola. Assuming but not really thinking.

Meanwhile, someone in the Dean’s office decided I need another “science” credit for graduation, so I enrolled in an evening class, somewhat of a “general science” as I remember.  The teacher was Dr. Bolton Davidheiser.  I won’t deny: I was taken by his name.  He sounded like he was someone who should be listened to.  But what really was used by God in my life was something he said in what I remember to be either the first or second class.  I can’t give you an exact quote.  But the gist of it was this: it is completely unnecessary to bring harmony between the pronouncements of “science” and the proclamations of the Bible; the Bible can be trusted in what it says on any subject.  It hit me that I was doing that: uncritically accepting what some scientist said and altering the Bible to make it fit.

I don’t remember much else about the class.  Science was never my strong suit (especially after my high school chemistry lab when I melted the solder in the copper pot because I forgot to put water in it; it collapsed on the Bunsen burner).  What Dr. Davidheiser’s comment did was to tell me that a man of science didn’t have to make excuses for the Bible or deny it’s literal statements.  That was an important junction in my spiritual journey.

Dr. Bolton Davidheiser, PHD.  In a tribute to him, the folks at Answers in Genesis said this:

Dr. Davidheiser … was once an evolutionist.  It was part of the kind of educational upbringing he had, including earning a Ph.D. degree in zoology at Johns Hopkins University (where he was eventually to become a cancer researcher).  By the age of 32, however, Dr. Davidheiser had looked at both sides of the creation/evolution debate, gave up his evolutionary beliefs, and eventually became convinced of a young earth.  Over time, as he wrote and lectured on creation, he became increasingly concerned about Christians who accept compromise views of Genesis.

With this in mind, I want to recommend an article to you by Dr. Davidheiser.  It concerns the writings of Hugh Ross.  I have had to deal with Dr. Ross in my own ministry, as I have twice been given books by well-meaning Christians who were sure that Ross had shown the way to bring peace between science and Scripture.  Davidheiser’s article is too long to post here so I am going to give you the link.  Possibly you will find it helpful.  The subject is, of course, HUGE!  Can the Bible be counted on to give us truth about the origin of all things?

The ministry of Dr. Hugh Ross exposed (bible.ca)

No comments: