Monday, February 28, 2022

Romans 13:1-7, Submitting to Authority in Ukraine

I am writing these words on Feb. 24, 2022; I expect to post them on Feb. 28.  Just letting you know, because who knows what will be happening in Ukraine.  At this point, it’s about 36 hours into the Russian invasion.  We have many friends in the Zaporozhe Oblast (Region, State) after numerous trips there to minister amongst the Baptist Churches, from 1996-2018. 

Today, in my reading and time with the Lord, I spent time in Romans 13. The believers we know, who are primarily among the Baptists, are the basis for a few thoughts today.  It is quite possible that they will be dealing with this passage soon, again, as there may be a “regime change.”  The Baptists figured it out under the Communists, and they figured it out in the years of freedom (1996 to the present).  So, I am thinking they will figure it out again, if there is a change.

How do they figure it out?  First, let me say that I am aware the Ukrainian government is handing out guns to the people to use if and when it comes down to street fighting.  I cannot say how many Baptists will participate in that program.  Or if any will.  After all, I live in Montana, and any of my local readers will want to know about that. 

But here is what I know.  These believers we know are all about fulfilling the Great Commission, following Christ and making followers of Christ.  That drove them in the days of the Communists.  You may be surprised to know that the Baptist Union churches were “registered” churches in those days.  They were not meeting out in the woods somewhere, trying to hide out.  In light of that, they also knew there were “spies” in their congregations.  That was expected.  This was part of their obedience to Rom. 13:1-7.  

In case you are wondering, yes, they suffered terribly during those days.  In Stalin’s days there was a massacre of Baptist leaders in a village called Novovasilyevka.  I know the older believers had a clear memory of the starvation strategy of Stalin and the death it brought to their families and villages.  But we also heard stories of Baptist men, serving in the Russian army, who told stories of witnessing to fellow soldiers.  And we also heard of “spies” who, sitting under the gospel preaching, came to put their faith in Christ. 

Ukraine has been a persecuted nation for most of its history, like other nations in the area.  But this is not what defines the Christians we know in Ukraine.  As I said, they are about the Great Commission.  They have used the 30 years of freedom to preach the gospel, see many conversions, and to plant numerous churches.  From 1996 in our first trip, when there were 32 Baptist churches in the Zaporozhe region, our last trip had somewhere around 175 churches.  Many of these were in villages, although the city of Zaporozhe itself must have had perhaps 8-10 new churches. 

Here's another thing we witnessed.  In 1996 Ukrainians were spiritually hungry.  You could strike up a profitable conversation about Christ with just about anyone.  But as time went on, the culture changed, and people became satiated with the American way of life (pardon me for saying it like that, but that is what they said: if they couldn’t move to the US like many did, they at least wanted some of the things the US had to come to them).  Zaporozhe, a city of 900,000 in 1996, had one hotel and one restaurant (in that same hotel).  These days the main street (used to be called Lenin Ave. but got changed to Sobornyi Ave. after the Russians took Crimea), is filled with restaurants, shops, malls, bars, and a McDonalds.  Who knows?  Maybe the Lord will use this current situation to recreate some of that spiritual hunger among the people of Ukraine.  Because now, like in the US, people are focused a lot on earning a living and enjoying aspects of the “good life.”

So, here’s my point about Ukraine and the Body of Christ there.  They are not defined by the government.  They are defined by their true Lord and Savior: Jesus Christ.  If there is a regime change, Rom. 13:1-7 will still mean the same thing it means today.  The application will be different and perhaps more difficult.

Now I ask myself: what is my point about me?  How do I see Rom. 13:1-7 in this hopelessly, politically divided nation in which we live?  Am I defined by conservative/liberal/progressive politics?  Am I defined by Republican/Democrat?  Or am I defined by my Lord and Savior?  I know what I want to say.  I march under the banner of the cross. 

·       Ex. 17:15: “The LORD is my banner (nissi).”

·       Num. 21:8-9: The “bronze serpent” was a “nissi,” placed on a pole so anyone who looked at it could be saved.

·       John 3:14-15: In the same way, Christ is my “nissi,” lifted up on the cross so anyone can look to Him and be saved.

(For my own benefit, here are some “prayer-reminding-photos” of some very precious Ukrainian believers.  If you want more, or want to know who these people are, check out our “RonCindy Youde” Facebook page, and look for the photo album “Ukraine 2018.”)










No comments: