Wednesday, June 9, 2021

1 Thess. 1:1-4, Thanksgiving for Faith, Love and Hope

This short prayer of thanksgiving takes us to the topic of “faith, love and hope” which we have dealt with in previous prayer.  Therefore, I would just like to add some thoughts about these basic qualities of the life of a Christian and a church.

·       First, here are other passages that feature these qualities: Rom. 5:2-5; 1 Cor. 13:13; Galatians 5:5-6; Ephesians 1:15-19 (one of Paul’s prayers); Col. 1:3-12 (our most recent prayer), 1 Thess. 5:8 (keys to godly living in the last days); 2 Thess. 1:3-4 (though mature they are still growing in these); Heb. 10:22-24 (our response to having Christ as our High Priest); and 1 Peter 1:21-22.

·       Here are working definitions, by which I mean, not so much theological or dictionary definitions but a description of what it means to actually live lives that exhibit these qualities.

o   Faith: visualizing what God intends to do in a situation and ordering my life accordingly.  This looks back at Christ.  He exercised this faith in His Father in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.  … Rise, let us be going.   See, My betrayer is at hand (Mt. 26:39,46).

o   Love: giving to the basic needs of others without the motive of personal reward.  I like, or perhaps should say, I need this reminder.  Love is good to others regardless their response.  It does not depend on either being well received or on reciprocation.  “Father, by your Spirit and grace!”  And of course, we again note that Christ is the epitome of love, fulfilled on the cross (1 John 4:10-11,19).

o   Hope: Patient confidence that in the future God will fulfill His Word to us.  I have to be careful with this.  His “word” is the key here.  It does not say He will solve all my problems or get rid of my enemies.  I need to remember that He has promised to do good to me, and that the ultimate good is to conform me to the image of His Son.  That is more, far more, important than my comfort.  This is also seen most clearly in Christ.  When He said, on the cross, into Thy hands I commit My spirit (Lk. 23:46), He was putting His hope in the Father to fulfill His Word, the promise of resurrection.

Paul gives thanks in today’s passage for God’s work in Thessalonica.  That was an amazing situation.  It appears from Acts (ch. 17) that Paul was only there for, perhaps, three weeks.  Then he left in a hurry.  But as you read 1 Thess. 1-3 he is giving a recap of that experience and how God worked through the gospel to establish a wonderful fellowship that was already exhibiting Christ through faith, hope and love.  May it be so with us, and in our fellowships.

No comments: