Saturday, March 6, 2021

Gal. 5:2-5; Mt. 11:25-30: Bearing Your Own Burden

We are still thinking about “bearing one another’s burdens.”  However, in 6:5 we see the goal is that each one shall bear his own load.  Is this a contradiction?

The first thing to note is that the Greek words in v2 and 5 are different.  In v2 “baros” refers to something that is heavy or burdensome.  In v5 “phortion” is simply something to be carried, regardless of its weight.  By illustration, the term in v5 refers to the cargo on a ship, while the term in v2 refers to the undo weight of that cargo during a storm as the ship is being ravaged or torn apart. 

Another thing we might do is note the two verses between v2 and v5.  Gal. 6:3 indicates to me that Paul is still concerned about the “conceit and envy” he mentioned in 5:26.  Those attitudes prevent the kind of caring that will restore a brother rather than simply judge him.  And it prevents the kind of burden-bearing we are called to.  Further, it would prevent the maturity that is needed to bear your own burden.  Conceit and envy are selfish sins, sins that show I am focused on myself and not on Christ or on those I am called to love.  When I bear my own burden, but have an attitude of conceit, I will tend towards self-pity, wondering why no one helps me.  Thus, it seems to me to be sensible, that Paul encourages a proper perspective, seeking to bear my own burden.  I can rejoice in that, because I will know that Christ is helping me and I am not unnecessarily dependent on others.

Thus, let us ask this: what is the normal burden for a believer to bear?

·       Let me remind you, that Pharisees (Mt. 23:4; Lk. 11:46), like the Judaizers Paul is concerned with in Galatians, took the normal burden and made it heavier.  And then they refused to help carry it.  We do not need to bear the burden of the judgment of other people.  Only One is our Judge (1 Cor. 4:1-5).

·       We are not called to bear the burden of our sin and guilt.  Christ has done that.  He Himself took our infirmities and bore our sicknesses (Mt. 8:17; Isa. 53:4).  He bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness (1 Pt. 2:24).

·       Whatever our burden, we do not bear it alone; God calls us to allow Him to carry it with us.  Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Mt. 11:28).  Casting all your care upon Him for He cares for you (1 Pt. 5:7).  Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits (Ps. 68:19).

·       But what is the burden?  It is the yoke of Christ.  Discipleship!  Taking up your cross daily and following Him (Lk. 9:23-26; 14:26-27).  What Christ lays on us day by day, in following Him, comes from a Shepherd, a Master who is gentle and humble.  His yoke is said to be easy, even as Paul says, our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory (2 Cor. 4:17).  Remember: it’s a yoke!  We are yoked together with our Lord.  Thus He promises, you will find rest for your souls. 

No comments: