Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Read Psalm 31, Into Your Hand I Commit My Spirit

We generally work through the Psalms on Sundays.  Nevertheless, I was recently blessed by time in this Psalm and wanted to share the refreshment of this great Psalm.

It is a Psalm of David.  And yet in v5 we have the words Jesus quoted on the cross: Into Your hand I commit My spirit.  Every time I see some verse in the Psalms that was used by Jesus I ask, “Is this a Messianic Psalm?”  Perhaps you do the same.  A Psalm does not have to be beginning-to-end a Messianic Psalm for Jesus to use one line from it and apply it to His situation.  He is “allowed” to do that, even as we are. 

But, of course, recently we have studied various quotes in Matthew’s gospel and saw how Jesus’ use of the OT was quite profound.  In His own life context He used passages that were a perfect fit in their historical context.  And that, we can say, is the case in Psalm 31.  It is a passage, like Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53, that describes quite well what Jesus experienced on the cross. 

·        David, the human author of this Psalm according to the title, was in a situation where people were seeking to bring him down.  They plotted against him (v4, secretly laid a net for him).  That is the situation of our Lord on the cross.  When He cries out the words of v5 He is at the point of death; it appears the deceitful ones have succeeded. 

·        A more expanded version of this prayer is in v9-13.  I am in trouble … My life is spent with grief … I am a reproach among all my enemies … they scheme to take away my life.  It is a cry for mercy.  But be not mistaken: He did not cry out, “I give up.  It’s useless.  Your plan has failed.”  He, in fact, planned for the future, because He committed His spirit to the One in whom He trusted (v14).  There are several “faith” terms in Hebrew.  This one has the idea of putting your confidence in someone, of finding security in someone.  This cry was a bold prayer of faith.

·        What was Jesus expecting to happen?  The answer to that is in v14-18.  He says, You are My God My times are in Your hand.  How can He say that?  He is about to breath his last!  Do not let Me be ashamed.  There is nothing more shameful than crucifixion.  All the great things Jesus said about Himself are about to be made out to be a lie, or so it seems.  His confidence in His Father is spelled out in v19-20: How great is Your goodness … which you have prepared for those who trust in You. 

Jesus believes in resurrection!  That is what is so wonderful about this Psalm.  It is a Psalm of death (v1-13) and resurrection (v14-24).  If we are to be living sacrifices (Rom. 12:1) our daily, constant prayer must be: Into Your hand I commit my spirit.  That is the life of one that has denied self, taken up his cross, and followed Christ.

No comments: