Monday, January 2, 2017

A Few Thoughts by Way of Introduction



This study booklet might seem to be on a subject no one cares about.  It touches on a subject related to “prophecy”; few people seem to want to think seriously about Bible prophecy anymore.  Many have given up thinking they can make sense out of it.  Others are offended by prophecy fanatics, and in some cases I would tend to agree (depends on the meaning of “fanatic”.)  In addition, it touches on the subject of “Israel”.  I happen to think the question, “Does the nation of Israel have a future in God’s plan for history,” is important.  But of course, you say, “I have seen on Facebook you’ve been spending a lot of time in Israel; of course you think it’s important.”  Furthermore, any discussion generally ends in hopeless disagreement or in recounting of any number of topics relating to the building of a temple or the unbiblical blending of Israel and the Church by which Christians today are required to keep some of the law of Moses (since no one can keep it all without the aforementioned temple, etc.).

Now if that last paragraph made no sense, ignore it completely.  Just accept this: what this study booklet is about is one of the most majestic sections of Scripture, Isaiah 40-66, and what it teaches about the faithfulness of God.  Now if that is a subject about which you don’t care, I am sorry.  Personally, the longer I live, the more I want to be assured that God, and thus His word, can be trusted!

I used to call these “devotionals”.  You folks who have been continually subjected to these in your mailbox, may have determined long ago that they aren’t like the normal devotionals with a couple verses, a story and a simple thought to carry away.  Thus you may note: I am calling them “study booklets”.  I study.  I love the word of God and the God of the word.  So I write some things down.  And then make copies and give them to unsuspecting folks like you.  

The point is: you can’t expect to read these in 5 or even 10 minutes as you are struggling to wake up in the morning.  But in case you still want to give it a try, I have given you 2 choices in the reading of Scripture that accompanies each study: a long passage (usually a chapter) and a short passage (maybe 3-6 verses).
 
Lastly, I want to acknowledge a couple of folks. There’s my wife, Cindy, who is the proofreader. Now I am the typist (pardon me, keyboardist) so if there are still errors don’t blame her. She works hard and has the appropriate level of perfectionist skill. I appreciate her a lot because that’s not one of my areas. And there is a Jewish believer named “Buksbazen” who wrote a commentary on Isaiah. (Buksbazen, Victor The Prophet Isaiah: A Commentary. Spearhead Press: 1971). I will tell you (since he is with the Lord and I can’t tell him) that his work was deeply appreciated by yours truly. I recommend it to anyone who wants to take the study further.
Ron Youde, Kalispell, MT 6/17/2014

No comments: