Monday, July 25, 2016

2 Corinthians 4:16-18



For me personally 2 Corinthians was a bit of an unknown until just a couple years ago.  I had read it several times as part of a Bible reading program.  But I had not really studied it.  I always knew it was supposed to be a personal letter where Paul showed his heart.  And since it was personal I knew it would not likely lend itself to the kind of logical outline seen in most of Paul’s letters.

Then a few years ago, having taken my church family through Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians it seemed natural to continue on to the second letter.  Wow!  Was that ever a blessing to me (and I hope to them).  I was a bit surprised by the constant emphasis on suffering.  This letter provides great comfort to those who suffer for the sake of Christ.  

I was extremely surprised by the exalted theology woven into the personal notes.  This letter deals with true repentance, the new covenant, reconciliation with God, imputed righteousness, separation, spiritual warfare and spends 2 chapters on Christian giving (how to take the offering).  Several verses that I had memorized over the years came to life as I saw them in the richness of their context.  

It was a Christ-honoring journey through the letter that I hope you find every bit as helpful.  For me the thought in 2 Cor. 4:17 seemed to catch the gist of the Holy Spirit’s teaching through Paul.  The high doctrine in the midst of the experience of suffering tells us the afflictions are light and are merely working for us an eternal weight of glory.

This picture in some ways illustrates this letter.  Any picture that is supposed to speak of glory has to have some kind of colorful cloud formation.  But it’s the lake, Echo Lake in the Flathead Valley in NW Montana, that says something to me.  Echo is a good sized lake, is great for swimming (not near as cold as nearby Flathead Lake), and is quite beautiful.  Interestingly, Echo is part of a chain of glacial potholes that beautify the eastern side of the Valley.  

Furthermore, there is apparently a connection between the water level of those potholes and the level of Hungry Horse Reservoir on the other side of the Swan Range which is east of Echo Lake.  So it’s a pothole, and it’s dependent on a larger lake.

Now I don’t mean to be demeaning of anyone, but isn’t that about the way it is.  We are potholes, little lakes that can be quite beautiful and enjoyable, but whose glory is dependent on another, larger source.  Perhaps you will want to meditate on 2 Cor. 4:16-18 at the start where our exceeding and eternal weight of glory is dependent on our connection with the One Who is eternal!

No comments: