Saturday, May 16, 2015

Psalm 38



For many years I have found this Psalm to be quite intriguing.  It expresses the deep sorrow of David, almost certainly at the time of his grievous sin with Bathsheba.  But it contains no resolution.  There is no expression of thanksgiving or praise for the answer to prayer.  To my recollection it stands out in this regard in comparison to the other hymns in the Psalter.


Shortly after recognizing this thought, I found myself engaged in seeking to provide Biblical counsel for those dealing with depression.  It occurred to me that the symptoms of those I counseled were quite similar to those of David.  They experienced physical aches and pains (v3,7).  They could not look up (v6).  They were week (v8).  They sighed a lot, literally (v9).  They experienced separation from loved ones and friends, generally of their own making (v11).  They feared people around them (v12).  They were unable to process a simple conversation (v13-14).  Everyone was against them (v17-20).  The description in Psalm 38 was essentially a perfect fit with what I was hearing. 

So first I thought, “David must have suffered from depression.”


But then I thought, “This is a case of poor interpretation of Scripture.”  I was letting the experiences of others define the meaning of Scripture rather than using Scripture to define the experiences of others.  I was so taken by the way these counselees could see themselves in Psalm 38.  But as we studied the Song more carefully we came to recognize that David not only expressed his pain; he clearly acknowledged the reason for his pain.  David was very open about his sin as the reason for his problem. 

Ø His pain is the rebuke of God’s wrath, chastening from the Lord (v1).

Ø God’s anger is completely appropriate given David’s sin (v3).

Ø David’s burden is a burden of guilt (v4).

Ø His wounds are the result of his foolishness (v5).


I speak with a soft heart in this matter, but it is something that must be said.  I have seen something consistently in depression, both in others and in myself.  Ultimately, when there is sufficient clarity of mind, it comes to be seen that there is an issue at the root of the depression that involves sin. 

If Psalm 38 is David, in the depths of depression, coming to grips with the truth that he has tried desperately to deny, then this is in fact an amazing Song.  David calls out to God (v1,16,21,22).  He acknowledges that he is hoping in God, that He will hear his prayer (v15-16).  And most importantly, he takes responsibility for his sin (v18).


Let us not be ignorant.  In talking about sin, the Bible asks and answers an insightful question: “What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed?  For the end of those things is death” (Rom. 6:21).  Anyone who has truly come to Christ has done so out of frustration and discouragement that are the results of living a selfish, proud life.  It is quite normal to have a “Psalm 38 experience” that brings us to the end of our rope with no hope but Christ.  


Not only is this normal; Psalm 38 also speaks loudly of our predicament if there was no Savior, no cross, no resurrection.  We would live in futility, darkness, being alienated from the life of God (Eph. 4:17-19).


Now may I make one other correction in my interpretation of Psalm 38.  I said there was no expression of praise.  But that is not true.  Remember the words of Joshua to Achan in Joshua 7:19: “My son, I beg you, give glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession to Him, and tell me now what you have done; do not hide it from me.”  In fact David gives strong glory to God in this Song.  He does it by agreeing with God about his sin.  Let us be quick to give glory to God in all things, but especially by not suppressing our sin (Rom. 1:18) but in confessing our sin (1 John 1:9).

No comments: