Thursday, August 7, 2014

Contentment

May I suggest you first read Philippians 4:10-13.

I was given a wonderful book entitled, "Contentment: The Secret to a Lasting Calm," by Dr. Richard A. Swenson. It is a NavPress (Colorado Springs, CO, 2013) publication and I recommend it highly.  Today, to whet your appetite, so to speak, here is a brief section from a part of the book (p.52-53) where Swenson offers quotes on 'contentment' from throughout history.
*********************************************

John Bunyan, one of the world's favorite authors, wrote in Pilgrim's Progress:

He that is down need fear no fall,
He that is low no pride.
He that is humble ever shall have
God to be his guide.
I am content with what I have,
Little be it, or much.
And Lord! Contentment still I crave,
Because Thou safest such.

This is the "Song of the Shepherd Boy in the Valley of Humiliation."  Some might recognize it also as the song sung by Beth in Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, sickly though she was and soon to die.

We cross the Atlantic to hear our last couple of voices.  The eminent preacher and theologian, Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758), definitively wrote, "There is provision in Christ for the satisfaction and full contentment of the needy and thirsty soul."  At one point, Edwards housed a guest, David Brainerd (1718-1747), the young zealous missionary to native Americans.  After he had fallen ill among the Indians, Brainerd wrote, "I am in a very poor state of health; but through Divine goodness, I am not discontented.  I bless God for this retirement!  I never was more thankful for anything than I have spent of late for the necessity I am under of self-denial in many respects."  He came to stay with the Edwards family where hr was affectionately nursed by their seventeen-year-old daughter, Jerusha.  Brainerd died of tuberculosis six months later at the age of twenty-nine.  Four months following, Jerusha became ill with TB and died in five days.  The two are buried side-by-side.  Far from being spiteful, Edwards wrote The Life of David Brainerd, which became his best-selling work and challenged many future generations of missionaries.

No comments: